Can't Find It? Search Here!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

We're Planning a Wedding.......

....but we aren't even engaged!!

Perhaps I should be calling myself the "ass-backwards" bride-to-(sort-of)-be.

Tony and I have been together for a little over two years now, though some days it feels like two months, and others it feels like two hundred. We've been talking marriage from practically day one. While we've had our significant ups and downs, we're definitely ready to marry each other. I will spare the details of our getting together (unless somebody wants them!), but, because we've always known we wanted to be married, we've watched plenty of wedding shows. Mostly Bridezilla's, just because there's something about watching that show and being thankful that you aren't anything like that; it makes you appreciate each other much much more.We also watch a lot of cake shows, which a lot of the times feature wedding cakes. Because of this, it only seems natural to talk back and forth about our wedding dreams. When Tony and I officially hit the two year mark, we discussed the wedding topic again; and decided that engagement wouldn't be too far off. (I've left the when and where's up to him). So, knowing that an engagement, and a wedding would be not far in the future, I've decided (with Tony's blessing and input) to start researching ideas. Essentially, we are planning a wedding before we're engaged--we're basically ass-backwards in our wedding planning.

This is why I need this blog. Tony and I are both in college, and he also has a full time day job. This makes him busy, and me only slightly less so. And it also makes us poor. Hence, the desperate need for a low-cost DIY wedding. Which is beyond fine with us; as I am a cheapskate by nature. He doesn't have a lot of time to look at every single idea that I find; and I don't have anybody else to show them to. Besides, this will be nice to have all of my ideas down in one place; so I actually remember why I saved each particular idea.

I'll get to the actual planning/idea posts in a minute, but first I want to link to the books that I (literally) just purchased from Amazon. I've been reading quite a few wedding blogs, and on apracticalwedding.com, they had a post specifically catered for people to give their opinions/suggestions on "pre-wedding" or "pre-engagement" books that were similar to a pre-counseling series without the actual therapist. (I'd link to the post, but I can't find it...[the fool at work]). Anyway, these lovely ladies have posted a bunch of excellent book ideas, and I decided to buy four. You know, just because I wanted to qualify for "Super Saver" free shipping on Amazon. It's not like I want four books. (*Cough*) So, here are the books I ordered (more will be said after I receive/read them!)































The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the County's Foremost Relationship Expert [Hardcover], by John Gottman and Nan Silver

For Women Only: What You Need to Know about the Inner Lives of Men

 [Hardcover], by Shaunti Feldhahn

The Commitment: Love, Sex, Marriage, and My Family
[Hardcover], by Dan Savage (I LOVE love love Dan Savage anyway. I can't recommend him enough)

For Men Only: A Straightforward Guide to the Inner Live of Women
 [Hardcover], by Shaunti Feldhahn and Jeff Feldhahn







No comments:

Post a Comment